OUR 2023 PROGRESS REPORT IS HERE!
The evidence is clear: our youth are an unstoppable force liberating education. From starting with our 2018 Freedom Schools Literacy Academy programming in Philadelphia with just 81 participants, to now reaching more than 10,000 participants through our national programs and initiatives affiliated with our Teaching Pathways, Professional Learning and Policy & Advocacy pillars. We are rising. Our 2023 Progress Report highlights our progress, while reinforcing the notion that we remain steadfast in our mission to rebuild the national Black teacher pipeline to achieve educational equity and racial justice.
Here are a few key highlights:
- 81 students enrolled in Teaching Academy for the 2022-23 school year; 357 cumulative students since the program was established in 2019
- 30 Black Teacher Pipeline Fellows received a cumulative total of $150,000 in scholarship funds in the 2022-23 school year
- 616 participants in our 2023 Freedom School Literacy Academy summer programming, including 74 Servant Leader Apprentices (college and graduate students) and 94 Junior Servant Leader (high school students)
- 86% of our Teacher Apprentices reported an interest in teaching Black students (70% in teaching generally)
- 1,078 attendees joined us for our 2023 Black Men in Education Convening in Philadelphia, PA
- 1,769 educators trained through our workshops, conference sessions and affinity groups
- 973 users enrolled in our e-Learning courses
Please encourage your friends, family, and colleagues to read the report, get involved in our #WeNeedBlackTeachers national campaign or donate to help support future Black teachers. If you would like to partner with us to help advance our work, please contact us directly by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
We believe in the power of community, and together, we can right the historical wrongs to help protect every student’s right to achieve in school and, ultimately, to liberate education.